Windows 10 users are using a number of apps that are Prompt by their alias. The default alias to open Notepad through Command Prompt you can simply type the notepad.exe. And then press on the Enter key. You will see the Notepad application would open on your device.
The alias applications names are usually similar to the name of the actual application, but on that moment, two various applications might have the same alias leading to a conflict. In this situation, you should trying to launch the intended application with the help of Command Prompt by entering its alias might launch the other one. For example, you have two applications named Spot Music that might have the same name but was developed by two different brands.
Both brands have a different size and structure. Possibly, the default execution name for both of them could be spotmusic.exe since both are program files. Upon attempting to launch one of them, the other application opens. Both are irritated and it will affect your work.
How to manage app execution aliases on Windows 10?
As earlier the user of Windows could change the alias of either of the application as per the process are given on docs.microsoft.com, but when you open the Windows 10 1803, then Windows will allow users to confirm that which app is using a certain alias while more than one application has the same name.
Steps to Select the app which could use a certain alias:-
If you have more than one app that are using the same alias then the following steps will help you to select which app are using the original name:
- To know this, you need to click on the Start button and then click on the gear-like symbol to launch the Settings window.
- After that, you have to select Apps and then choose the Apps.
- Now select the features tab that is placed on the left-hand side.
- Then click on the Manage app execution aliases link.
- It will show you the list of apps that might have conflicting aliases.
- Now, you need to turn Off the toggle button for the apps that have the same name.
- Once launch the apps that using alias names and using their execution name by Command Prompt.
- It is able to open only apps that have their toggle enabled.
The toggle switch has developed specially for apps that have to encounter the execution names. If you have switch off the toggle for apps that have do not have such a conflict, upon trying to launch the applications by command prompt then you will find a Command Prompt error that is: <the execution name, it is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file. But, this is not able to prohibit the users from opening the application from the Start Menu.
We hope that this process will help you to Manage App Execution Aliases on Windows 10 easily.